Blargenshnuggle

Bringing you a mixture of serious, fun, and stupidity in one cluster of a blog. I kind of like it.

 
Chat Box
Cool Websites
Ebaumsworld
MJ Morning Show
Games
Sudoku from SudokuPuzz.com
Click my sponsors!
Add-on stuff

Feeds

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Subscribe in Rojo

Add Blargenshnuggle to Newsburst from CNET News.com

Add to Google

Add to My AOL

Subscribe in FeedLounge

Add to netvibes

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to Bitty Browser

Add to Plusmo

Add Blargenshnuggle to ODEO

Subscribe in podnova

Heavy hitting storms blast St. Louis
Thursday, July 20, 2006



Since I live in the St. Louis area, I felt like I had to share this with you!

We had one hell of a night last night. I was sitting here on my computer, it was early evening, and my neighbor called me. She tells me to look outside at the sky. So I got up and took a peek, it was literally pitch black! We stepped outside a few minutes later when we heard the wind pick up. Dust was blowing everywhere...the air had a very strange feeling to it.

I promise you 10 minutes hadn't passed by before the "gust front" blew in ahead of the storm (which was traveling north to south, very strange for the midwest). Locals and meteorologists confirmed we had 80-90 mph winds blowing through, and then a torrential down-pour with A LOT of lightning and hail. Of course funnel clouds were sighted and there was reports of unconfirmed tornados within the St. Louis metro area. Trees were snapping everywhere, debris blowing down the street....it was quite a site! Now keep in mind I LOVE severe thunderstorms, but this one actually spooked me a bit. I have never seen one this strong. Mother nature showed us her ass last night to say the least.

A half a million people are without power, and we are in a record heat wave.... not a good combination. The Missouri National Guard has been officially called in to evacuate those without power in the area, to take them to "cooling centers".

This has been called the worst storm to hit the area for nearly 100 years. This was actually a "Supercell" storm - which is considered the worst possible. See below:

"A supercell is a severe thunderstorm with a deep rotating updraft (a mesocyclone) [1]. Supercell thunderstorms are the largest, most severe class of single-cell thunderstorms. It has been argued that there are really only two types of thunderstorms: supercell and ordinary, though some have four classifications: single-cell, multi-cell, squall line, and supercell."

Say a prayer for those without power, because with the dangerous heat, they are in a very bad situation.

Here are some articles about the storm and some pictures.

National Guard called in.

Local News story about the storm.

St. Louis Post Dispatch article.
posted by Ryan @ 6:53 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Ryan
Home: Midwest, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
<
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Google Ads
Reserved